Saturday, January 08, 2005

B + 0.75 (or C - 0.25) is for passing the time

So, you know, just to fill up space on the page, I'm posting a section of narration from The Two Towers that I liked enough to actually copy down after I'd read it back in May of 2004. As I noted at the time, it's part of a paragraph in the second last chapter, "Shelob's Lair". Here it is.

"Here the air was still, stagnant, heavy, and sound fell dead. They walked as it were in a black vapour wrought of veritable darkness itself that, as it was breathed, brought blindness not only to the eyes but to the mind, so that even the memory of colours and of forms and of any light faded out of thought. Night always had been, and always would be, and night was all."

I love that last sentence. Heaven knows why.

No comments: