Tuesday, March 01, 2005

D is for 'maybe it's not just about denim'

Let me start off with a quote, courtesy of Flames.

'...but I mean things like Gap are always ok...but the most recent thing is all the jeans that look like they've been worn for years...bleached in various spots...you know what I mean...not to mention the A&F stuff that has rips in it or has crummy lettering on it...I don't get how clothing companies figure we'll actually want something that LOOKS like it's been worn for about 5 years already...and pay 30+ for it at that!! Actually, what's worse is that most people we went to school with actually DID this...and what's even worse is that *I* am starting to find these things attractive....'

I won't explicitly post my thoughts on this matter as of yet - my intent is to open up a discussion of sorts. Let me point out to you the portion of the above quote that is highlighted in boldface. Now, we all know that the high school which we all attended tends to be associated with all things 'materialistic' or 'superficial'. Why is it bad that 'most people we went to school with actually DID this', and why is it worse that some of us are 'starting to find these things attractive'?

This is not necessarily a superficial discussion, as the reasons behind differing viewpoints are more complex than one would think. I see culture as one of these reasons, but will leave it at that for now.

Undoubtedly - like New York City and Tori Amos - such topics tend to inspire extreme feelings and very little indifference, as SQ succinctly put it, and I reckon that a discussion on the link between sartorial matters and our schooling will provoke much division in opinion.

Discuss. But first, let me get my claws out.

No comments: