Sunday, October 31, 2004

B is for bad omens

These are not necessarily songs I dislike. However, the first few moments of wakedness find me in a different frame of mind from any other moments of the day, and in that first half-hour or so of consciousness, my opinions are quite strong. Any of these five songs coming from my clock-radio at 7:00 in the morning is guaranteed to signal a bad day ahead:

Santana and Michelle Branch -- "Game of Love". GGGRRRGGHHH!!!!! Two bars of this is enough to make me want to gnaw my leg off. And why is this a perennial favourite for morning shows?
4 Non Blondes -- "What's Going On?". The quavery, yodelly, register-skipping voice just sets me on edge for the rest of my waking hours.
Ashlee Simpson -- "Pieces of Me". I wish someone would burn all extant copies of the vocal track of this song. As we all know now, she'll never be able to recreate it.
Train -- "Drops of Jupiter". Holy-was-overplayed-like-three-years-ago, plus I simply cannot countenance the thought of soy lattés and fried chicken at that hour.
Avril Lavigne -- "Sk8er Boi". Something about the in-your-facedness makes me want to throw the damn clock clean down the hall.
Counting Crows -- "Accidentally in Love". That wacky, kazoodly bit at the beginning makes all my hair stand on end when it's the first sound I hear all day. It's like waking up and eating an overly-sugared Sour Key: spine-wrenching.

There are only five, but for some reason, they come up A LOT, regardless of what radio station I set my alarm to. I'm not sure why this is. Perhaps radio execs feel that they're blandly top-40ish enough not to annoy anyone.

Anyone have any bad morning omens? Songs or otherwise?

No comments: